Zee's Balcony Farm

Experimenting with urban food production on my balcony.

My big greenhouse  — June 20, 2015

My big greenhouse 

I needed another greenhouse to put the two composting planter tubs in so last week I made one.

I bought the bits of wood from Bunnings and the plastic from Spotlight. I also had to buy a 12mm woodworking drill bit. This is my very own design- yup, no YouTube tutorial this time. 👍🏽

After the painters finish working on the balcony, it will fit perfectly to the side, leaving space for the pallet planter box, mini greenhouse worm compost and all the other plants to come. 

 

I put together the sides first and stapled the PVC plastic sheet to them.
  
I inserted the sides into the long lengths with a dollop of liquid nails and it became 3D.
 
Stapled the sides , top and back with the plastic. The front is also covered with plastic but is attached with velcro.
  

The composting tubs fit in nicley with plenty of room to grow and I might possibly squish in some other pots. It will evetually be located on the side so that it doesn’t feel like it takes up a lot of space.
Pallet planter box — June 19, 2015

Pallet planter box

I love pallets. Free sturdy wood! In the past,  I’ve made a (fairly rough) dining table, coffee table,  book display, vertical planter and now…. To add to my pallet constructions and balcony planter box. I got the instructions from YouTube and it was fairly easy to whip up in one afternoon. The hardest part of using pallets is desconstructing them; but once that is done, it’s just a quick cut, hammer and drill away from being whatever you want. 

I lined it with plastic and added some rocks along the bottom for clearer drainage. Then I dumped in some organic potting mix and the plants. I’m growing  lettuce, kale, parsley, cucumbers, and Lebanese zucchini. 

I added a mini greenhouse cover that I constructed, again using a tutorial from YouTube. 

Here’s my balcony planter: 

Sometimes it’s too hard to pull the planks off so I just cut them , which requires less force but takes longer.
  
You need to make three panels : front, back and bottom. Then you drill them together and, finally, you cut and attach bits of wood to make the sides. I also made drain holes and added some wood as ‘legs’ to elevate the box off the ground.
   
All planted! I added the plastic greenhouse cover, but I do need to make the ends a bit neater looking. I would also like to install a perforated pipe so that I can water it without always taking the cover off.